Website Malahat Nation
Reports to: Managing Director (Te’Mexw Treaty Association)
Although the Nation selects its negotiator, the individual is a member of Te’Mexw Treaty Association (“TTA”) staff.
To represent the interests of the Malahat Nation in the course of preparing for and conducting treaty negotiations conducted by the Te’mexw negotiation team, including:
- To ensure that the negotiation team is fully advised on the Malahat Nation’s interests, goals and priorities
- To negotiate Interim Measures Agreements when required
- To represent the positions of the Te’mexw Member Nations
- To function as a team under the direction of the Chief of Negotiations
- To keep updated on all issues pertaining to treaty negotiations
Work with other team members to negotiate treaties and any related agreements
- To manage special portfolios and lead related negotiations when required
- To brief team members, Directors and others on portfolio activities
- To work with TTA staff to develop an appropriate communications plan for the Malahat Nation
- To carry out community consultation activities with the Malahat Nation
- To keep updated on status of negotiations and related issues
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend regular internal reviews with technical advisors
- Make recommendations to develop strategies in preparation for the main table negotiations
- Express the interest of the Malahat Nation at the Caucus (internal discussions)
- Ensure the interest of the Malahat Nation are expressed and to negotiate with a fair representation and learned knowledge of the interest at the negotiation table
- Attend technical workshops related to specific portfolio and working groups you are a member of
- Sit as an advisor on Constitution Development Committee
- Sit as an advisor on treaty related committees within the Malahat Nation
- Provide regular negotiation updates to Chief and Council and take direction from Chief and Council concerning the Nation’s interest
- Work alongside the Communication Team to ensure all community members are informed on the Treaty Chapters being discussed and are prepared for the ratification vote
- At community meetings publicly consult and update community on treaty progress and priority issues. Gather feedback and encourage participation from each of our community members to join the Treaty conversation
- Maintain a weekly presence in the Te’Mexw Treaty Office at the Malahat Nation (Open door hours to allow consultation from the community)
- Provide a bi-weekly report to the Managing Director on all aspects of responsibility
- Experience working with First Nations
Priority will be given to applicants with Aboriginal ancestry.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations with attention to: Kristina Pollock
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by fax to: 250 743-3251
- or by mail to: Malahat Nation, 110 Thunder Road, Mill Bay BC V0R 2P4
Thank you for your interest in the Malahat Nation; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: Friday, December 14, 2018, at 4 p.m.
Please note: This job posting has been provided by an employer external to Global Vocational Services Inc. GVS is not responsible for the accuracy of the content or the conduct of the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.