Website Malahat Nation
|Job title||Finance Clerk|
|Reports to||Director of Finance|
The Finance Clerk is responsible for providing financial and administrative services to ensure effective, efficient and accurate financial and administrative operations. This includes processing and monitoring payments and expenditures and preparing and monitoring the payroll system. Providing these services in an effective and efficient manner will ensure that Malahat Nation finances are accurate and up to date, that staff is paid in a timely and appropriate manner and that vendors and suppliers are paid within established time limits.
The Finance Clerk must comply with the Malahat Nation Financial Administrative Law, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Malahat Nation policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform the day to day processing of financial transactions to ensure that Malahat Nation finances are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
- Receive and verify invoices against purchase order contracts
- Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures
- Review and verify employee expense claims
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry
- Data entry of invoices for payment
- Manage semi-monthly cheque runs
- Create accounts receivable invoices
- Prepare supplier cheques and customer invoices for mailing
- Reconcile bank statements
- Reconcile Visa statements on a monthly basis for Chief & Council, CEO and Executive Administrative Assistant Visa cards
- Processing of online supplier payments (BC Hydro, cell phone)
- Data entry of new suppliers
- Complete semi-monthly payroll functions in order to ensure employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner.
- Establish and maintain confidential employee files
- Process TD1 forms
- Process benefits forms
- Verify pay amounts, hours of work, deductions, etc.
- Verify coding and obtain signatures
- Batch timesheets for data entry
- Data entry of payroll information
- Tracking accumulated vacation and sick leave
- Manage semi-monthly cheque runs
- Distribute semi-monthly paycheques
- Process cell phone allowances on a monthly basis
- Provide administrative support in order to ensure effective and efficient office operations.
- Prepare purchase orders as requested by Directors
- Filing and maintenance of A/R, A/P and payroll records
- Overseeing petty cash , including monthly reconciliation and semi-monthly replenishing via cheque requisition
- Preparing bank deposits and depositing funds at the bank
- Receiving and posting A/R payments
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of the financial and employee files maintained in the Finance Clerk’s office
- Perform other related duties as required.
The Finance Clerk would meet the qualifications for this position through a minimum of two years formal education, related work experience or some combination thereof.
The Finance Clerk must have the following knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of office administration and bookkeeping procedures
- Knowledge of accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Knowledge of payroll functions and procedures
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering financial and payroll information
- Confidentiality concerning financial and employee files
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Very effective organizational skills
- Computer skills including computerized accounting, spreadsheet and word processing programs
- Time management skills
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Experience working with First Nations
The Finance Clerk works a standard 30 hours work week. There are a number of recurring and important deadlines associated with this position, which may be stressful. The Finance Clerk must deal with a wide variety of people on various issues and be able to work with frequent interruptions.
The Finance Clerk will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to Attention: Kristina Pollock
by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to: 250 743-3251
or by mail to: Malahat Nation, 110 Thunder Road, Mill Bay BC V0R 2P4
Closing Date Wednesday, January 23, 2019, at 4 p.m.
Thank you for your interest in the Malahat Nation; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Please note: This job posting has been provided by an employer external to Global Vocational Services Inc. GVS is not responsible for the accuracy of the content or the conduct of the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.