Website Cowichan Tribes
HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
Reference No. CT-HR-HRD-0617
Cowichan Tribes is seeking a full-time Human Resources Director to lead our HR team and contribute to the success of our organization and community overall. Reporting to the General Manager, this position is a strategic partner to and member of the Operational Leadership Team. The Human Resources (HR) Director develops and leads the implementation of Human Resources strategies, policies, practices, programs and services for the Cowichan Tribes organization. The Director conducts the department in a manner that is consistent with the Cowichan Tribes organizational and community culture and teachings, Human Resources Committee recommendations, Chief and Council directives, applicable legislation and guidelines, and the operational needs of the Cowichan Tribes departments. This position manages HR and external service providers within established budgetary, financial accounting and control frameworks.
Working with the HR team, the Director provides and facilitates coaching, guidance, and sound HR advice to the HR Committee, managers, and employees. With an overall focus on capacity building for the Cowichan Tribes community, the HR Director leads by example by honouring and acting in alignment with the Cowichan Tribes culture, teachings, policies and procedures; and in doing so, provides a balance of strategic and operational/implementation-oriented HR services and is a key contributor to organizational change.
Cowichan Tribes is dedicated to being a community-driven organization providing access to services and programs, and to promoting the respect of our culture and traditions and the individuality and success of our people.
Operating in alignment with the above-stated mission, in addition to our culture and teachings, the HR Director will be responsible for the following core responsibilities:
- Develops and implements an annual HR strategy in alignment with Chief and Council directives and the overall strategies, goals and future needs of the organization. Leads and provides direction to the HR Department in line with the HR strategy, and works with the team to ensure HR initiatives, programs, and services reflect the strategy, intention, organizational culture, and vision of Cowichan Tribes. Oversees department strategy and administration with respect to the department budget and reporting; provides updates to Chief and Council on department activities, as directed.
- Solidifies a unified HR philosophy and provides performance management, mentorship, coaching, direction and support to the HR team in line with that philosophy, ensuring the success of the team and organization by providing the support, guidance, training, tools, and resources to fulfill position responsibilities.
- Communicates key HR related messaging to the organization, either directly or through the HR Advisors and/or managers, and facilitates the engagement of employees to ensure messaging is understood.
- Provides leadership in the development of HR initiatives, programs, and services to support the strategic, tactical, and operational needs of Cowichan Tribes departments with consideration of future HR trends in employment, legislation, and organizational efficiency impacts. Recommends programs, activities, directions and priorities to assist Cowichan Tribes in achieving its organizational and departmental goals and objectives.
- Provides quality and timely advice, counsel, direction, and services to the General Manager, Chief and Council, department managers/supervisors, the HR team, and various committees. This includes but is not limited to: overall capacity building; individual career development; leadership, training and development; succession planning; long term HR planning including risks and opportunities for change; policies, practices, and procedures; labour and employee relations; recruitment and retention; discipline; dispute resolution; compensation/benefits/pensions; and staff health and wellness.
- Guides managers and supervisors (or the HR Team as applicable to do so) through employee relations issues, ensuring Cowichan Tribes culture, teachings, policies, applicable laws, and best practices are followed through the process.
- Manages the HR team effectively to ensure the appropriate communication and administration of all HR Programs and Policies. Works with and supports the HR Advisors with respect to employee relations, coaching and guiding them through escalated and/or complex HR issues such as dispute resolutions, harassment complaints, or challenging performance issues.
- Establishes strong relationships by building and maintaining trust with individuals at all levels of the organization including employees, managers, the HR Committee and Chief and Council. Partners with department level managers in the resolution of major departmental consequences and/or with organization wide impact.
- Maintains currency with business and HR trends, external market conditions, and best practices. Researches developments and innovations, technology and process changes via external networking, attendance at conferences, seminars and presentations. Analyses, discusses, and recommends HR functional or practice changes to Cowichan processes as appropriate.
- Undertakes other related duties as required and assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Highly developed ability to provide oversight/leadership in the development of culturally aligned HR initiatives, services, and programs. Able to translate organizational strategies to HR strategies and tactics that meet the needs of the organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to and adherence to the highest ethical standards, demonstrating accountability, integrity and transparency at all times. Strong and objective adherence to maintenance of trust and confidentiality and avoidance of conflict of interest.
- Well-developed and comprehensive understanding of HR practices and administration, as well as applicable legislation such as the Employment Standards Act, the Canada Labour Code (where applicable), Human Rights, Privacy, Occupational Health & Safety, Common Law, etc.
- Strong ability to lead, motivate, and manage the performance of a team of professional and administrative HR staff.
- Exceptional interpersonal and employee relations skills, with the ability to cultivate genuine and solid working relationships at all levels without conflict of interest.
- Solid leadership coaching skills, focused on alignment with culture and strategy; ability to provide advice and offer counsel on a broad range of HR services.
- Excellent planning, organizational, project management and execution skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team showing a commitment to team and organizational goals.
- Strong oral, written, counseling, presentation, dispute resolution, and interpersonal communications, analysis, and problem solving skills at all organizational levels.
- Exceptional business acumen and strong knowledge of HR and business analysis techniques, practices, and methods, and a willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and working knowledge of related administration, HR, salary administration and payroll systems and tools.
Required Experience, Education & Training:
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources Management, Public or Business Administration or a related field (e.g. social sciences) from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively more responsible HR management experience in a medium sized organization, at least 5 of which must be in a senior/leadership capacity.
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing and successfully executing HR strategies.
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing and implementing core HR programs and processes.
- Extensive experience managing an HR team.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in all aspects of HR management and infrastructure, including: capacity building; HR strategic planning; succession planning and leadership development; recruitment and on-boarding; performance and career management; coaching and mentorship; employee policies and procedures; total compensation; HR record keeping and technologies; employee and labour relations; disciplinary and dispute resolution; and health and wellness is required.
- An understanding of the Cowichan Tribes cultural protocols, and cultural, political, business and operating environments is a strong asset.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR, formerly Certified Human Resource Professional) designation is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please refer to Reference No. CT-HR-HRD-0617 when submitting cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Cindy Daniels, Acting General Manager, Cowichan Tribes
5760 Allenby Road, Duncan, BC, V9L 5J1
Deadline: 4:00 p.m. Friday, June 30, 2017
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal ancestry.
We thank all applicants in advance but only those selected will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to Cindy.Daniels@cowichantribes.com.