Website Cowichan Tribes
Job Title: Digitization Technician Summer Student
Department: Quw’utsun Syuw’entst Lelum
Classification / Hours: Full-Time, Term (May 7 – August 31, 2018)
Salary Range: $18.74 per hour
Reports to: Cultural Coordinator
Cowichan Tribes is the largest First Nation band in British Columbia compromised of seven tradition villages: Kw’a’mutsun, Qw’umiyiqun’, Xwulqw’selu, S’amuna, Lhumlhumuluts’, Xinupsum and Tl’ulpalus. We have delegated responsibilities to provide Cowichan members services in child and family services, health, housing, membership and social development.
The Quw’utsun Syuw’entst Lelum Department is leading the Cowichan Tribes Hul’q’umi’num Digitization project. The goal is to preserve valuable information about our ancestors to ensure our history, culture, language and knowledge can be passed on for generations to come.
The Digitization Technician will digitalize our Sul-hween (Elder’s) interviews, oral histories, stories, traditional land use interviews and other materials. Candidates must self-motivated, detail-oriented, capable of performing repetitive tasks and maintain strict confidentiality with culturally sensitive information. By the end of the summer the successful candidate will become proficient in Microsoft Excel and Audacity sound engineering software, gain office experience and have the opportunity to work in the Language and Culture department.
The role is expected to perform a variety of tasks in the following areas:
- Digitalize audio cassettes and make preservation copies of recordings
- Capture metadata, take notes and organize data in Microsoft Excel
- Attend staff Hul’q’umi’num language classes
Our ideal candidate successfully meets the following qualifications:
- First Nations, Metis or Inuit ancestry
- Between the ages of 15 – 30 years of age
- Currently enrolled in 2017/ 2018 school year
- Knowledge of Cowichan Tribes Cowichan Tribes history, culture, traditions and language; or experience working within a First Nations capacity is preferred
- Advanced computer skills required and experience in file management and data entry
- Completed “2018 Digitization Application Form”
- Cover letter explaining:
- Self-introduction about interests, hobbies, skills, abilities, traits and characteristics
- Explain how the position will benefit your educational, career and personal goals
- Resume outlining your past work experience
- Assistance is available at Quw’utsun Employment and Training department for cover letters and resumes
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Please reply to the undersigned, quoting the reference number and position title.
Deadline: 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Please note: This job posting has been provided by an employer external to Global Vocational Services Inc. GVS is not responsible for the accuracy of the content or the conduct of the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.