Website Cowichan Energy Alternatives Society
Job Opening for: Recycling Operations and Plant Processing Technician
- Be part of a growing, dynamic team with an innovative, sustainable Island-based organization
- Perfect role for self-starting, mechanically-minded problem-solver with lots of room for professional development and career advancement
- Flexible work hours with employee ownership options, bonuses and other benefits that grow as you grow with the organization
- Job based in Victoria area with routine visits to the Cowichan Biofuel Facility near Duncan
Cowichan Energy Alternatives (CEA) is an innovative organization providing renewable energy and low carbon solutions to communities throughout Vancouver Island and BC. CEA’s Used Cooking Oil (UCO) recycling operations team are our front-line professionals responsible for collecting UCO from our restaurants partners so it can be up-cycled for biofuels and other sustainable, green products that help create resilient Island communities.
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: $16 to $22/hr based on variable 21-35 hrs/week. Includes employee benefits and room for advancement depending on experience, ability, initiative and positive attitude
Job Description: Want to be a part of a local, sustainable solution?
Are you a positive, can-do, solutions-oriented person who can provide top-notch customer service as you collect veggie oil in a truck with a giant vacuum pump? If you love hands-on work that helps the planet, then this is the job for you.
You can be on the front lines recycling waste cooking oil into local products helping to create more sustainable, resilient island communities. CEA has helped prevent thousands of tonnes of CO2 emissions through its used cooking oil recycling operations in Victoria and at the Cowichan Biofuel Facility located near Duncan.
We need a mechanically-inclined, grease-recycling ninja as part of our growing, dynamic team. You will be working as a professional driver in the collection of waste cooking oil in the Victoria area with routine visits to the Cowichan Biofuel Facility. You will also help to make this product into something useful by assisting our Saanich plant manager as needed. This is a unique one of a kind job that’s worthwhile and challenging. It’s truly a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it!
We are looking for someone with a flexible schedule who is available for 21-35 hours a week to start, with opportunities for career advancement with demonstrated competence. Mobility to work in the Victoria and Cowichan areas is required. (Salary range listed below.)
The ideal applicant will need positive grit, gusto and the ability to persevere through challenging situations. Applicants with strong communication, mechanical and driving abilities (truck with trailer) will be moved to the top of our list. We are looking for someone who is part MacGyver, part David Suzuki and 100% dedicated professional.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect waste vegetable oil from clients throughout the Greater Victoria area and provide support as needed to the Cowichan and other Island collection areas
- Process the oil as needed to upcycle into biofuels and other sustainable products
- Take initiative to make improvements and to increase efficiencies wherever possible
- Maintain Bin Inventory & Labeling
- Work with public and municipalities on CEA’s residential waste cooking oil recycling program
- Maintain & operate machinery and light duty equipment (pumps, generators, vacuum trucks, etc)
- Clean, maintain and service client areas, such as oil bins/barrels
- Manage and maintain a schedule for oil collection routes throughout Greater Victoria and beyond
- Able to effectively communicate with clients/staff
- Have fun, smile, be positive and helpful, and maintain good relationship with clients and public
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities on the Job:
- Must possess good customer service skills; able to effectively resolve client issues
- Mechanically inclined; able to repair various mechanical devices
- Computer literate and able to maintain accurate records of oil volumes, locations and dates
- Dedication to “green” initiatives
- Sales background a bonus
- Proactive problem solver that demonstrates initiative. When you identify a problem, you don’t complain about it – you take responsibility and do something to solve it!
- Must have Class 5 BC driver’s license; must provide a clean drivers abstract
- Sufficient physical strength and stamina to meet physical requirements of the job
- Positive, helpful, “can do” state of mind
- Adhere to government standards and practices; operate facility within regulatory guidelines
- Ability to drive standard transmissions, hook-up, haul and load trailers
- Maintenance of work related equipment, vacuum pumps, hoses, valves, etc.
- Computer-savvy (Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail and online Google suite. Working knowledge of databases and client management software/Salesforce a bonus)
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and to effectively manage time and collection routes
- Must have strong team focus, communication and customer service skills
Please note: This job posting has been provided by an employer external to Global Vocational Services Inc. GVS is not responsible for the accuracy of the content or the conduct of the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.