Website Cowichan Tribes
ABOUT THE ROLE: We are re-posting this opportunity due to insufficient applicants. Applicants are encourage to apply if you are passionate about sports and recreation and want to gain skills that will enhance your employability in the future. Applicants who applied to the previous competition are still being considered and do not need to re-apply.
Under the general direction of the Recreation Coordinator, the Recreation Program team will coordinate and lead the Annual Tsetsuw’ Sawa’lum’ (Coast Salish Games) of 2018. Quw’utsun Employment and Training (QET) is funding these mentorship opportunities aiming to develop the capacity of youth leaders that are interested in promoting healthy lifestyles, community based sports and the well-being community members. This is a full time term position.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY, YOU MUST:
- Be registered status under the Indian Act
- Meet the age requirement of 19 – 30 years old
- By submitting your application, authorize consent to release your cover letter and resume to QET which will be used for funding purposes if you are the successful candidate
- High-school diploma, or equivalent; with a keen interest in pursuing education / career in sports and recreation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Publisher) and other computer related programs
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership abilities to work effectively with a wide-variety of people
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of initiative and responsibility; establish own priorities and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Physical stamina to engage, coach and lead sporting activities
- Willingness to participate in required training (First Aid, Water Safety, Aboriginal Coaching Modules and Referee Training), staff meetings and other related activities
- Criminal Record Check will be required
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how it would benefit your future goals
- Resume outlining your past work experience
- Copies of training certificates and driver’s license (asset)
Recreation Program Leader (1) Operation and Maintenance Department
January 15, 2018 – March 30, 2018
Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator, the Leader will assist with the development and implementation of Coast Salish Games, for Aboriginal youth between the ages 8 – 12 years old, in order to successfully meet program objectives. Oversee the following event areas: design, community engagement, organization / implementation and evaluation. The position will be required to collaborate and supervise: Recreation Workers, aboriginal youth, coaches, volunteers and other neighboring First Nations groups and organizations. Experienced in leading sporting activities with youth preferably swimming, basketball, soccer and volleyball. Valid Class 7N BC Driver’s License.
Recreation Program Worker (3)
Operation and Maintenance Department
February 19, 2018 – March 30, 2018
Reports to the Recreation Program Leader, the Worker(s) will provide support in the planning, coordinating and delivering of multi-sport programming for the Coast Salish Games for aboriginal youth between the ages 8 – 12 years old. The Worker(s) will engage in a variety of activities to enhance their skills and to obtain working experience in sports and recreation program development. Exposure to sporting activities preferably swimming, basketball, soccer and volleyball. Valid Class 7N BC Driver’s License an asset.
Attention: Reference No. ADM QET GSG 1217
Human Resources Department, Cowichan Tribes
Deadline: 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Interested applicants are invited to submit a current resume and a detailed cover letter clearly stating how you meet the qualifications listed in the job posting. Please reply to the undersigned, quoting the reference number and position title.
Assistance with the application process will be available within QET Department at Cowichan Tribes.
Please note: This job posting has been provided by an employer external to Global Vocational Services Inc. GVS is not responsible for the accuracy of the content or the conduct of the employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.